August 15, 2009

Waiting

So I now have six long weeks to think about my surgery. To fret, freak out and be a complete and utter you-know-what to my husband. Because he is the one that gets the brunt of my fear and anger. I try to apologize at every chance for my behavior. There's no excuse. My friends tell me it's understandable. But really, I'm not a nice person for this time. And he doesn't deserve that. Not at all.

It turns out that postponing surgery does not make it better. In fact, it gives your daymares (or at least that's what I'm calling them). For the three weeks leading up to my surgery I go from worry to obsession to panic. I am consumed with fear about what will happen. After two long weeks of awful behavior on my part, I finally explain to my husband what has been happening. I start with another apology and then say, "Every day for the past two weeks, a thousand times a day, I die on the operating table during my surgery. And the one or two times a day that I don't die, I have cancer."

I explain that these are my daydreams, nightmares throughout the day - daymares. I tell him that it doesn't end when I go to sleep - all night long, I play these over and over in my head. I am more exhausted than before. He does what he has done a hundred times since we were at the doctor's office. He pulls me close, gives me a hug, and tells me that everything will be okay. And I want to believe him. But part of me feels that something isn't right. I ask for him to keep telling me this everyday. Because until it's over and we have the test results, I won't believe it. But I will try...

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kristin! Haven't dropped by for ages - just been so busy with everything - and now I feel so bad! An operation? That's scary. You're allowed to be scared and cranky. It's a big deal. But you know what? Because you know it's a big deal and you're being scared you'll deal with it. Thinking of you and sending happy thoughts.

    Love
    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin, ywhile surgery is never to be taken lightly, you'll be fine and you'll go forward. A good friend of mine went through what you're going through and she's doing great.

    I am on medication for my thryoid and will be my whole life. I did not have tumors or surgery. But what helped me most was finding my own information--Mary Shomon has done a LOT of consumer advocation and education. Her book "Living Well With Hypothryroidism" was incredibly useful. Also getting an endocrinologist is key.

    It will take a long time to get your thryoid hormones right after the surgery, but it will happen and you can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope everything goes well. Please know that I am thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and come back soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails